– watch and discuss the video at the beginnings of the link:
- What did people use to think?
- What do we know now?
- What changed between belief and knowledge?
– Pretend we went back in time 130 years. Take turns describing the following inventions/technologies:
- Jumbo Jet Airplane
- Smart Phone
- Google or Facebook
It can be hard for us to believe what we cannot see. The same is true with our Spirits.
We have to have the right instruments:
Scientists had a hard time believing that there were more galaxies beyond our own until they had the right tools to see.
The Apostle Paul taught a parallel principle regarding spiritual knowledge. “The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God,” he wrote to the Corinthians, “for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”12
In other words, if you want to recognize spiritual truth, you have to use the right instruments. You can’t come to an understanding of spiritual truth with instruments that are unable to detect it.
How to obtain spiritual truth and light:
- Read the scriptures
- Ponder on the goodness of God, from Adam until now.
- Ask God with the intention to obey.
- Do the things that God is asking you to do.