I am being reclaimed.
I have read through the list of spiritual gifts and at least two stand out to me, no, three:
- Teach the word of wisdom or knowledge, not sure which, nor do I fully understand the difference presently.
- Working of mighty miracles.
- Speaking in all kinds of tongues, interpreting of tongues.
New day and I’m referencing my patriarchal blessing to see how this aligns with suggested spiritual gifts. From my blessing:
- Blessed to be able to have a close relationship with Heavenly Father
As I am reading through my patriarchal blessing, there are many gifts listed (as blessings), but I was hesitant to equate these with spiritual gifts, because I’ve always regard spiritual gifts as resources given to us to bless the lives of others around us. But for some reason as I read about these blessings from my patriarchal blessing, I was not considering these things as benefiting those around me.
- Blessed to be calm and peaceful
- Blessed to self-care in this life.
- Blessed to maintain myself in a spiritual mood from day to day.
- Blessed to have the Holy Ghost as a constant companion.
- Blessed to have a knowledge of the Pre-Mortal councils.
- Blessed to constantly seek for truth.
- Blessed to love my parents.
- Blessed to be missionary minded.
But then the only blessing that is designated as a “Spiritual Blessing” in capital letters in my blessing is this:
- to know that Jesus is the Christ the Son of the Living God.
Going back to Moroni, after listing the ones that he has listed, he adds this statement: “And all these gifts come by the Spirit of Christ; and they come unto every man severally, according as he will.” (vs. 17, emphasis added)
The shift for me is that whether from my patriarchal blessing or the scriptures, the purpose of Spiritual Gifts is the same: to bless the lives of others.
Jesus Christ is the gift of God. In John 4:10, Jesus told the woman of Samaria that if she knew the Gift of God and who he is… that she would have asked of him, and he would have given her living water. If I know who Jesus is, then I am asking him for living water; I am turning constantly to him as the source of life and true knowledge.
Following a “rabbit hole” of footnotes, the Lord is demonstrating to me his mercies which “are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.” (1 Nephi 1:20)
Then gentle correction (from a merciful God):
That ye contend no more against the Holy Ghost, but that ye receive it, and take upon you the name of Christ; that ye humble yourselves even to the dust, and worship God, in whatsoever place ye may be in, in spirit and in truth; and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you.Alma 34:38
What I am sitting with is the trajectory that I have taken with Florence Nightingale, which came about exclusively through prayer, ministrations of the Holy Ghost, and constant study. What he has shown me and caused me to consider is extremely expansive from where I was before.
What I must not loose sight of is the process that brought me here: It has been the Gospel of Jesus Christ in action.
I am going to move on after this morning, but a final read through brought at least two more gifts to my attention:
- The Gift of Prophecy (which Paul says is better than the Gift of Tongues, and that it should be coveted, see 1 Corinthians 14 )
- The Gift of the Ministering of Angels (which I would have passed over had the Spirit of the Lord not impressed upon my mind how I have received the ministration of angels from time to time, even to the degree that I have known who it was that was ministering to me.)
The final take away is this: “…remember that every good gift cometh of Christ.”