I am brought to consider the verses from the later part of the Book of John that highlight the love of God, chapters 13 – 17.
From the Topical Guide, Love of God:
- he loved them unto the end: John 13:1 .
- ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another: John 13:35 .
- If ye love me, keep my commandments: John 14:15 .
- he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father: John 14:21 .
- my Father will love him, and we will come unto him: John 14:23 .
- As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: John 15:9 .
- Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved: John 16:27 .
- world may know that thou … hast loved them: John 17:23 .
- love wherewith thou hast loved me: John 17:26 .
I am brought to consider these passages and others as we begin into our stake conference activities this weekend. I am also reminded of Mormon’s teachings in Moroni 7:
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail— (vs. 46)
With this reminder to pray for and cleave to charity, the love of God, I am then brought to consider a profound invitation found in John 14:12-14:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.