Three things that converts, and all members of the Church, need to stay active:
- opportunities to mature and serve in the Church
- nourishing by the word of God.
Bishopric’s responsibilities to accomplish this includes
- facilitating fellowshipping opportunities
- assigning callings to each new adult member.
- ordaining worthy male converts to priesthood office.
Ward Council helps by discussing ways to help new members feel:
- the love of other members.
- the joy of serving in the Lord’s kingdom.
- the peace that comes from living gospel principles.
Ward council can also discuss possible service opportunities in family history or temple work.
The bulk of the work of convert and new member retention should rest on the Priesthood and Auxiliary Leaders.
Gospel Principles Class should be attended by new converts for a few months. No specific time frame is given beyond that. It impresses me that there should be an emphasis on teaching from the Book of Mormon in this class using it as the main support to the lesson manual. Another aspect of this class is to encourage members to be reading regularly from the Book of Mormon.